Be a Part of a Community Robotics Team:
The team has moved from a school setting to a community based team. We welcome all those from the surrounding communities, whether public, private, home-schooled, or on-line school, 7th -12th grade, to come and join our team! Our team is proud to be part of the POP (Piece of the Puzzle) Alliance started by Boneyard Robotics ” wanting teams to come together to help build a better future for all students.” in an effort to “create a more diverse and inclusive FIRST community” by helping students relate to those with autism. www.thepopalliance.org. Our team is also part of the FIRST Like a Girl program that encourages females in the STEM fields, firstlikeagirl.com. The team personifies Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion to allow students from all walks of life to be able to participate in a safe and judgement free environment.
The team participates in outreach events to spark interest in robotics and engineering in others. Becoming a community team gave us the ability to look at new avenues to continue the program that gives students in our rural area the opportunity to obtain scholarships, learn new skills, meet people from all around the state, and even the world, who have a connection to FIRST Robotics.
Team members are expected to be at meetings, travel to competitions & participate in roles to help the team succeed, willing to learn new things and bring their own ideas to the table. Looking for 7th-12th grade students who need an outlet for their creativity. Looking for students interested in robotics, scholarships, public speaking, writing, history, computer science, coding, social media, photography, safety, art, and much more. IT’S NOT JUST ABOUT ROBOTICS!
Maybe it is something created from the dark depths of your imagination. Maybe it is something real. What is it? Why is it scary? How do you get rid of it? Tell us all about it – in an original story.
This Halloween, ChildFund and New York Times bestselling author R.L. Stine are looking for kids and teens between the ages of 6 and 18 to become published writers by entering our #MyScariestMonster Contest!
Share this special message from R.L. Stine with your parent or teacher. Then read on for more contest details, rules and how to enter.
Contest Details & Rules
The #MyScariestMonster contest is open to kids everywhere, including those in ChildFund’s programs around the world. The contest will have three winners – one in each of the following age categories:
Winners will be chosen by a panel of judges including R.L. Stine, bestselling children’s writer and former pro wrestler Mick Foley and ChildFund President and CEO Anne Lynam Goddard.
The three contest winners will be announced on ChildFund’s social media pages on Halloween, October 31, 2020. If your story is a winner, it will be published on ChildFund’s website and social media pages for the world to see! Winners will also receive an autographed book from R.L. Stine.
Here are a few important things to know.
- You may only submit one story for the contest.
- Your story may be fiction or nonfiction (made-up or true).
- Your story may not be longer than 4 pages (handwritten or typed).
- Your story may be illustrated if you wish, but illustrations are not required.
- Your story must be turned in, along with a recent photo of you and a completed submission form signed by a parent or guardian, by October 14, 2020.
Ready to write and get published?
Integration of Computational Thinking into K-6 Standards:
Use linked URLs in this matrix designed by our regional K-6 educators who aligned the Code.org curriculum with the NC SCOS!
STEM Everyday Podcast
STEM is not a class you teach…it’s a culture you build!
The STEM Everyday podcast (started 6 years & 170+ episodes ago) provides practical help for teachers to infuse STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) into their everyday lessons. Each week I interview educators, authors, & innovators who are finding innovative ways to add STEM to their everyday classrooms, schools, and communities.
Subscribe to the STEM Everyday Podcast on iTunes or on your favorite podcast app!
Check out the links to episodes below
- 178 Building STEPS…Baltimore organization helping underserved kids into College & Careers
- 177 Melanie Peffer…Teacher (University Biology) & author of Biology Everywhere
- 176 Dan Mantz…CEO of Robotics Education & Competition (REC) Foundation
- 175 Jen Swanson…Host of Solve it for Kids Podcast
- 174 Laurie Wallmark…Author of Children’s books (STEAM Team Books) & Computer Scientist
- 173 Vicky Fang…Author of Children’s books (STEAM Team Books) & Design Expert
- 172 Spencer Sharp…Teacher (K-5 STEM) in Indiana
- 171 Chuck Stoffle…Teacher (K-5 STEM & Makerspace) in Ontario, Canada
- 170 Jen Swanson…Author of Children’s books (STEAM Team Books)
- 169 Darcy Pattison…Author of Children’s books (STEAM Team Books)
- 168 Shelly Gruenig…Career coach & CEO of Be Greater Than Average
- 167 Chris Anderson…Host of Science Around Cincy
- 166 Andre Daughty & Jorge Valenzuela (Part 2)… Finding your voice
- 165 Andre Daughty & Jorge Valenzuela (Part 1)… Seeing kids’ greatness
- 164 Andy Losik…Teacher (K-4 STEM) in Hamilton, Michigan
- 163 STEM in 30…Emmy nominated program from the Smithsonian’s Air & Space Museum
- 162 Briana Titi…eSports communications director at Emerald Foundation
- 161 Kirsten Larson…Author of Children’s books & Creator of STEAM Team 2020 books
- 160 Wendy Turner…Teacher (2nd) & SEL Expert
- 159 Mindy Pastuszak…Teacher (K-5 STEAM) in Virginia
- 158 Mike Duvarney…Head of USA BMX Foundation (provides STEM resources)
- 157 Tim Needles…Teacher (Art & Technology) & author of STEAM Power
- 156 Jason Krueger…Creator of Stratostar (sending weather balloons to the stratosphere)
- 155 Liz Gallo…Teacher & Founder of WhyMaker (Makerspace consulting & training)
- 154 Gil Poznanski…Teacher, Creative Technologist, Maker, & Speaker in Melbourne, Australia
- 153 Sarah Rivera…Teacher (HS Science) in Ohio
- 152 Kristina Holzweiss…Librarian, Makerspace expert, & Author of Hacking School Libraries
- 151 Tania Bumstead…Teacher (6-8 Science) in Ontario, Canada
- 150 Bryanne Leeming…Creator & CEO of Splats, a coding & physical fitness device
- 149 Sarita Menon…Creator & Editor of Smore Magazine
- 148 Cat Warren…Journalist & Author of What the Dog Knows (a book about science & dogs)
- 147 Erin Twamley…Author of Everyday STEM Superheroes
- 146 Janelle McLaughlin…Education Speaker, Consultant, & Writer
- 145 Jorge Valenzuela…PBL & CS & Computational Thinking Expert, Educational Coach, Blogger & Author of Rev Up Robotics (also Ep.117)
- 144 Jennifer George…Fashion Designer, Rube Goldberg’s granddaughter, & head of Rube Goldberg Inc
- 143 Tim Cavey…Teacher (8th) in British Columbia & host of the Teachers on Fire Podcast
- 142 Mista Pat (AKA Pat Person)…Coding and STEM speaker & host of upcoming PBS show Technology with Mista Pat
- 141 Jeff Kirschner…CEO of Litterati (the crowdsourced litter pick-up and data analysis app)
- 140 Alison Donald…Author of the children’s book The Spacesuit
- 139 Erin Riley…Teacher (K-12 Engineering, Art, & Design) & author of The Art of Digital Fabrication
- 138 Leslie Edmonds…Teacher (K-12) & Consultant for Visually Impaired students
- 137 Jon Smith…Teacher, Speaker, & Book Creator App expert
- 136 Maya Ajmera…President /CEO of Society for Science and the Public (Science News, Intl Science Fair, & Broadcom Masters)
- 135 Jacie Maslyk…Asst Superintendent, Author, & STEAM/Makerspace Expert (also Ep.104)
- 134 Chris Perkins…Teacher (Primary STEM) in Adelaide, Australia
- 133 Mike Ransford…Teacher (K-5 STEM) in Ohio
- 132 Alan Small…Teacher of Science, Author, & Driver of the STEM Bus
- 131 Eric Iverson…Cybersecurity & Engineering advocate at Start Engineering
- 130 The ISTE STEM Network…Julianne, Jessica, & Charles from the ISTE STEM Network
- 129 Jenny Mitchell…Teacher (Middle School ELA) in Ohio
- 128 Susan Crouse…Founder/CEO of Traxart Toys, makers of Kinazium Robot Maze
- 127 Bill Van Loo (Part 2)…Teacher (K-8 STEAM) , Musician, & Artist in Michigan
- 126 Bill Van Loo (Part 1)…Teacher (K-8 STEAM), Musician, & Artist in Michigan
- 125 Tori Cameron…Teacher (Elementary STEAM) & Host of STEAM up the Classroom Podcast (also Ep. 89)
- 124 Laurie Green (Mrs Geeky)…EdTech Consultant, Speaker, & Trainer
- 123 Jennifer Quattrucci…Teacher (Elementary) & Author of Educate the Heart (Screen Free Activities for PreK-6)
- 122 Andrew Kauffman…Teacher (Elementary STEM) & Photographer
- 121 Alice Aspinall…Teacher (HS Math) & Author of Everyone Can Learn Math
- 120 Angela Abend…Teacher (Gifted Students) in New York
- 119 Mandi Figlioli…Makerspace Expert, K-12 Administrator, & Author of Miss Makey & the Magic Bin
- 118 Ben Kidd…Co-Founder of Curiscope (maker of the AR t-shirt Virtuali-Tee)
- 117 Jorge Valenzuela…PBL & CS & Computational Thinking Expert, Educational Coach, Blogger & Author (also Ep.145)
- 116 Mika McKinnon…Sci-Fi Consultant, Disaster Researcher, & Geophysicist
- 115 Stephen Routh…Teacher (6-8 Making & STEM) in Georgia
- 114 Kasey Brida-Alonso…Grad Student Researcher in Neuroscience
- 113 Adam Chamberlin & Sveti Matejic…Teachers & Authors of Quit Point
- 112 Sara MacSorley…Author of Super Cool Scientists
- 111 Ken Scheel…Founder of Keva Planks
- 110 Jason Hubbard (Part 2)…Teacher (5-6 STEM) in Ohio & expert on googly eyes
- 109 Jason Hubbard (Part 1)…Teacher (5-6 STEM) in Ohio & all around good guy
- 108 Rachael Mann…Education Speaker, CTE Advocate, & Author of The Martians in Your Classroom
- 107 Brian Keating…Physics Prof (U-Cal SD), Speaker, & Author of Losing the Nobel Prize
- 106 Valerie Perez…Teacher (3rd STEAM) in California
- 105 Meghan Johann…Teacher (Elementary) in California
- 104 Jacie Maslyk… Asst Superintendent, Author, & STEAM/Makerspace Expert (also Ep.135)
- 103 Kyle Niemis…EdTech Coach & Co-Creator of The ClassroomQ
- 102 Nathalie Roy…Teacher (Roman Technology & Latin) in Louisiana
- 101 Chris Aviles…Teacher (6-8 ELA, Innovation, & Entrepreneurship), Gamification Expert, & eSports Coach
- 100 Catherine Granton… Ass’t Director of Education at Gotham Whale in NY & Marine Scientist
- 99 Ekuwah Moses…Family Engagement Facilitator for FACES in Las Vegas, Nevada
- 98 Rhia Stark…Librarian & STEM Specialist for TLC Smart Tech
- 97 Mark Behnke…Teacher (HS Sports Journalism & Digital Media & ELA) in Michigan
- 96 Abigail Edgecliffe-Johnson…RC Car Maker & Cake Artist
- 95 Cesar Martins…MakePi tablets
- 94 Lois Melbourne…Author of My Future Story STEM Club books
- 93 Bill Matheny…Animator for shows & books including Woodsy the Owl
- 92 Mary Ledford & Julie Smith…Teachers (Elementary) & EdTech Consultant (Julie) with ELA focus
- 91 Nancy Penchev…Teacher (Elementary) & Media and Instructional Technology Coordinator
- 90 Samantha du Preez…Community Engagement for EVERFI K12 resources
- 89 Tori Cameron…Teacher (Elementary STEAM) & Host of STEAM up the Classroom Podcast (Also Ep. 125)
- 88 Tamara Robertson (Part 2)…Actress (Mythbusters & SciJinks), Maker, & ComiCon Superhero Scientist
- 87 Tamara Robertson (Part 1)…Actress (Mythbusters & SciJinks), Maker, & ComiCon Superhero Scientist
- 86 Coding Park…Amine & Jabir share how they created Coding Park, a coding game
- 85 Andrea Beaty…Author of Rosie Revere, Iggy Peck, Ada Twist, & more
- 84 Scott Donnelly…Teacher (Elementary STEM & Social Studies) in Pennsylvania
- 83 Brittany Ballou…Teacher (Elementary STEAM) in Virginia
- 82 Kory Graham…Teacher (Elementary Innovations) in Minnesota
- 81 Jodie Lang…Teacher (Elementary) in Ontario
- 80 Marion Leary…Director of Resuscitation Science (and much more) at U of Pennsylvania
- 79 The Purpose of Projects in the Classroom
- 78 Lea Melchior…President of Golden Research (robotics arms for the classroom)
- 77 Jesse McNulty…Instructional Tech Coach & Sports Analytics
- 76 Creating a STEM Culture
- 75 Judy Zimny...VP of National Institute for STEM Education
- 74 Telling STEM Stories
- 72 Mark French…Principal in Minnesota
- 71 Camping
- 70 My Birthday & STEM
- Special Episode…Gene Clark (my Grandpa)…WW2 Navy & the history of STEM
It doesn’t matter what subject or grade level is being taught, STEM can be incorporated into all classrooms and every home. This podcast aims to help educators give their students opportunities to learn and take charge of their learning.
the Daily STEM News
A FREE one page weekly “newspaper” to help inspire kids to engage with STEM in the real world. Each issue can be printed or shared digitally with the kids you know. Literacy & STEM…better together!
Or share the link to this issue directly with your kids:
(If you or your students are interested in helping with an issue of the Daily STEM, send an email to [email protected] for more information!)
Vol 2 Issue 30…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 29…4/26/20Vol 2 Issue 29…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 28…4/12/20Vol 2 Issue 28…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 27…4/5/20Vol 2 Issue 27…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 26…3/29/20Vol 2 Issue 26…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 25…3/22/20Vol 2 Issue 25…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 24…3/15/20Vol 2 Issue 24…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 23…3/8/20Vol 2 Issue 23…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 22…3/1/20Vol 2 Issue 22…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 21…2/23/20Vol 2 Issue 20…2/16/20Vol 2 Issue 19…2/9/20Vol 2 Issue 18…2/2/20Vol 2 Issue 17…1/26/20Vol 2 Issue 16…1/19/20Vol 2 Issue 15…1/12/20Vol 2 Issue 14…1/5/20Vol 2 Issue 14…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 13…12/15/19 Super-Double Issue
Vol 2 Issue 12…12/8/19Vol 2 Issue 11…11/24/19 & 12/1/19Vol 2 Issue 11…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 10…11/17/19Vol 2 Issue 10…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 9…11/10/19Vol 2 Issue 9…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 8…11/3/19Vol 2 Issue 8…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 7…10/27/19Vol 2 Issue 7…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 6…10/20/19Vol 2 Issue 6…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 5…10/6/19Vol 2 Issue 5…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 4…9/29/19Vol 2 Issue 3…9/22/19Vol 2 Issue 2…9/15/19Vol 2 Issue 2…(Spanish)Vol 2 Issue 1…9/8/19Vol 2 Issue 1…(Spanish)Vol 1 Issue 11…8/18/19Vol 1 Issue 11…(Spanish)Vol 1 Issue 10…7/28/19Vol 1 Issue 9…6/30/19Vol 1 Issue 9…(Spanish)Vol 1 Issue 8…6/16/19Vol 1 Issue 8…(Spanish)Vol 1 Issue 7…6/2/19Vol 1 Issue 7…(Spanish)Vol 1 Issue 6…5/26/19Vol 1 Issue 6…(Spanish)Vol 1 Issue 5…5/19/19Vol 1 Issue 5…(Spanish)Vol 1 Issue 4…5/12/19Vol 1 Issue 4…(Spanish)Vol 1 Issue 3…5/5/19Vol 1 Issue 3…(Spanish)Vol 1 Issue 2…4/28/19Vol 1 Issue 1…4/21/19
- STEM Everyday #178 | Building STEPS towards College & Careers | feat. Debra Hettleman & Sheyna Mikeal
- STEM Everyday #177 | Biology Everywhere | feat. Melanie Peffer
- STEM Everyday #176 | Robotics also builds Fun & Friends| feat. Dan Mantz
- STEM Everyday #175 | the Solve it for Kids Podcast | feat. Jennifer Swanson
- STEM Everyday #174 | Computer Science & Children’s Books | feat. Laurie Wallmark