These clubs will allow girls to gain confidence in science, technology, engineering, and math. There has been a great deal of research that continues to provide evidence that gender is the gap found in STEM careers. For more specific information about GEMS clubs see www.gemsclub.org
STEM West has received funding from the Duke Energy Foundation and the Appalachian Region Commission to support the start-up of 30 clubs across the following counties: Alexander, Burke, Caldwell, Catawba, and Lincoln.
- Attend stipend paid ($100 per day= $400) summer training: August 7-10, 2017
- Attend 2 follow-up sessions to collaborate and present updates on club (substitutes will be paid by grant)
- Hold at least 10 club sessions with approximately 30 girls in elementary or middle school
- Responsibly use the funds provided for club materials
- Paid professional development from experts in the field of girls and STEM, receiving certificate of completion
- Paid substitutes for follow up
- Opportunities to collaborate and learn from others across the region
- $200 provided to your school under your name for GEMS club materials
Applications are Due: March 10th
Questions? Contact Carol Moore at email@example.com or 828-241-5480.